Whether it’s filled with cheese, meat, or fruit, one thing is certain: Turnovers are a delight to eat.
A turnover is a type of pastry made by placing a filling on a piece of dough, folding the dough over, and sealing it.
Turnovers can be sweet.
Examples include: cherry, apple, raspberry, strawberry, blueberry
Turnovers can be savory.
Examples include: meat, cheese, vegetables, fish.
Below is a list of a few turnover choices to make and enjoy:
- Beerocks (German) — Filled with cabbage and meat
- Calzones (Italian) — Filled with tomato sauce, meat and cheese
- Dim Sum (Chinese) — Filled with meat, fish or vegetables
- Empanadas (Latin) — Filled with sweet potatoes & meats
- Pastelillos (Latin) — Meat, onions, raisins, capers & egg
- Pasties (English) — Potatoes, vegetables & ground meat
- Pastelitos Fritos (Brazilian) — Fried turnovers with meat & cheese
- Pierogies (Polish) — Filled with potatoes, vegetables or fruit
- Saltena (South American) — Typical meat pies
- Samosas (India) — Filled with chick peas, potatoes and spices
- Sanbousic (Middle Eastern) — Filled with cheese and dill
- Stromboli (Italian) — Filled with cheese, meats & veggies
- Spanakopita (Greek) — Spinach, cottage cheese, feta & olives